Saturday, March 8, 2008

Have a baby or buy a baby?

Removing a real parent from the birthing process is taking away a part of our society that has lasted from the beginning of time. Adoption agencies have always been around for those families who did not have the chance of having a child. Being able to play God and choose basically who your baby will be is unethical. You would be able to choose hair, eyes, and other physical body traits. All of this will continue until everyone has a perfect child. Short term benefits are numerous as are the negative long term affects of this unnatural phenomenon.

One of the most influential benefits to having these implanted embryos is that you would be able to end physically disabilities at birth. The embryos can be treated before they enter a woman’s womb so that they will be immunized and checked for any handicaps that could affect the overall health of the child. Parents want to have strong children that will stay healthy from birth to the end. It hurts parents to see a child struggle. Playing God would be able to eliminate the chance of having a child with a physical or mental disability.

One of the drawbacks to playing God is it takes out the natural aspect of child birth. Each child is different after they are born. There are similarities in everybody, but everyone is still different. I feel that parents want their children to make mistakes to learn from them. It builds better character. If these embryos are cloned to make everyone look alike, how can any on person stand out in a crowd? All children will grow up to be strong, beautiful millionaires if parents got what they really wanted. Our society is built on being able to adapt and to overcome obstacles. If every child is perfect because of carefully chosen embryos, then how can anybody be able to rise to their best?

A major negative in this whole process is the expense. Most common Americans do not have the kind of money to have an artificial child. And I believe that it will hurt parents to see someone else have this procedure done knowing that it could never be their fate. And who want to buy a baby? Children are supposed be your gift that you bring into this world, not something that spent a couple hundred thousand dollars on.

All in all, I do not agree with being able to play God and choose who your baby is before you even give birth. Perfect children will only cause problems later on when those perfect kids buy their own super babies. It takes away a part of life that should remain sacred.

6 comments:

theteach said...

As I begin reading your blog, I find myself stopping at the first sentence, "Removing a real parent from the birthing process is taking away a part of our society that has lasted from the beginning of time."

Jokingly, I think, "real" as opposed to "play" or "make believe" parents.

Then I think, whoaaa...wait a minute...parents are removed? Where does the egg and sperm come from? Isn't the existing egg and sperm that is genetically altered? Hmmmmm
Is a couple going to go to a "store" and buy their sperm and eggs or an embryo already manufactured? That is similar to the use of sperm banks right now, although more sophisticated. Right now a sperm bank lists the characteristics and background of a sperm's donor. The woman or couple needing sperm looks in a catalog and choses sperm that seems appropriate to them. They purchase and have the sperm sent to the doctor or clinic.

Now I will continue reading.
You write, that "one of the most influential benefits to having these implanted embryos is that you would be able to end physically disabilities at birth." I wonder what you mean by an "influential" benefit.

You write that "each child is different after they are born." I think each child is different before it is born also.

You ask "if every child is perfect because of carefully chosen embryos, then how can anybody be able to rise to their best?"

Interesting question. If the child is perfect, would he always be at his best? Would he even need to strive for anything? Or perhaps if he is the best, does he just do everything well, even when challenged but elements in society?

You suggest that "all children will grow up to be strong, beautiful millionaires, if parents got what they really wanted." Some parents do not consider lots of money as important. They are happy with enough to take care of bills and have a little for extras. They do not see attaining money as a goal in life.

As for the expense of the process, I wonder if it will become economical as it is developed. Initially new inventions and discoveries are expensive because of the costs of the research and development. But once the product is in the mainstream, its cost drops. Computers are a good example.

I encourage you to keep working on your writing. Think about your word choices and your audience. When we discuss a topic such as genetic engineering, we need to be as precise as possible. Keep trying!!

funnykid17 said...

Its clear that you are very against genetic engineering. You make many valid points and follow those with facts and i think thats the best part of your essay. However you did not aknowledge the up side to genetic engineering and you were supposed to. I agree with you and i feel that since you feel so strongly against it that it made your essay that much better.

Soulja Boy said...

I liked your essay. You seem to feel strongly about being opposed to the "buying a baby" subject. Also you make some good points to back up your feelings. Even though there was a paragraph talking about benefits I could still see that you were opposed. I feel the same way about the process so I enjoyed seeing some new points about how I feel as well. Good job.

Blue Tiger said...

You make some very good points. It's very obvious that you are against genetic engineering and you argue your case very strongly. Good job on sticking to your guns and making your point.

Papa Bear said...

Responses:
the teach-
I don't know if I want to thank you or be frustrated with you over the page long response of criticism. I understand that the egg and sperm have to come from real people, but "real" to me means the baby's actual parent.

funnykid17-
I understand that I need to put more of the other side into the paper, but I guess it slipped my mind to put it in when I wrote it.

soulja boy-
I'm glad to see that someone realized that I tried to add the benefits in, but i guess my opinion overshadows it. Thanks for liking it.

blue tiger-
I am very against genetic engineering and i assume it shows pretty strongly. Thanks for noticing that I didn't flip flop with my views.

theteach said...

Papa bear writes, "I don't know if I want to thank you or be frustrated with you over the page long response of criticism."

You make me smile. Don't think of it as criticism but rather reader response. Your words triggered a lot of thoughts and questions in my mind. That's what blogs and essays should do.

Your thoughts are important!! Take care in how you express them. Challenge your readers to think.

Keep writing!!!